Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Review on Windows 8

So I woke up in the morning and learned that Windows 8 was available for download, so I spent my afternoon putting it on my computer. I was pretty anxious to see how it compared to Windows 7. I was shocked to learn after installation that Windows 8 is a completely different experience.

No Start Menu
The first thing that you notice on Windows 8 is the elimination of the Start Menu. I thought that it was kind of odd because I am quite used to clicking on that windows button and loading up a list of all of the programs on my computer. The windows bar is still there so you can easily place icons on it to quick launch them, but that's only if you are in "Desktop Mode", which you don't use as often in Windows 8. You are probably wondering what they use instead of a desktop. The answer is "action tiles."

Action Tiles
When you hit the windows key on your keyboard, instead of a start menu launching you get "Smart Tiles". Each tile is a different color, and by clicking on it you initiate a specific app that is installed on your computer.... yes, apps. Windows 8 uses apps for most of the things that you do on your computer, while still allowing you to use programs, so it is merging together the tablet interface with that of the pc.

I really like the action tiles. It was kind of difficult at first, not to launch apps, but to learn how to change the settings on the computer because it is quite different. I quickly figured things out though and I have been overall content with the new look and feel of Windows 8 and the action tiles.

The Good
What I like about this operating system is how it integrates your social media into the operating system. This makes it possible for you to chat with all of your friends off of Facebook and MSN Messenger simply thru an app, and it will notify you when you get a message from someone. It also allows you to see your friends status updates and pretty much get information off of their wall without ever even visiting facebook.

I like how it is designed for both the pc and the tablet. This way they can have just one operating system that works seamlessly between the two. This will make buying apps and other stuff a lot easier process because you can use them both on your computer and your tablet.

The Bad
What I don't like is how there are still a lot of bugs in the system. My E-mail app doesn't work at all, so I have been unable to check my email using it. Also, it has issues sometimes loading all of my Facebook contacts into the chat app so I don't usually know if my friends are online or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment