Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Few “Fun Theories” So Good That They Have Already Fooled You



We have been talking about Fun Theory quite a bit lately, and quite frankly, it is one of the few topics that I actually enjoy learning about. Taking something tedious or boring and turning it into something that people enjoy doing is an extremely hard task, there is a reason why those tasks sucked to begin with, however, some great minds have been able to re-design people’s perspectives on the task and turn it into something that people can enjoy doing.

I was contemplating about fun theory, when I realized that I have been an active participant in it a lot of times without even knowing simply because the creators of the “Fun Theories” that I have participated in designed it so well that I had no idea that I was being tricked into doing something that I normally don’t enjoy doing.

Just Dance 3 for Xbox Kinect
I recently bought myself an Xbox 360 and a Kinect to kill some time with when I have nothing better to do besides homework. I bought a game called “Just Dance 3”, and I’ve been addicted to it ever since the first time I popped it into the console. I can spend up to an hour at a time dancing to its songs as I am moving and grooving to the beat of the music.

To those that have played Just Dance 3: have you noticed how much you sweat as you play that game? Normally, for me at least, I am sweating profusely just after 2 songs, and as time goes on I become more and more out of breath, but I want to keep playing because I am having a ton of fun doing so.

This is a great example of Fun Theory being employed in our lives. We play Just Dance 3 to have fun and socialize, but what I didn’t realize was that it had turned something that I hate doing (Exercise) into something that I can enjoy and get a good cardio workout.

Zumba
I am not a fan of Zumba, and I probably never will be. I only went once because my girlfriend really wanted me to go with her, and I will never return. I have noticed though that it is an activity that’s been along for a few years that has become a new fad here amongst girls. Instead of running  on a treadmill, girls (and a few creepy guys) dance to some music (kind of like Just Dance 3, but not the same) for about an hour as they sweat away the calories.

I will admit that Zumba was a lot more fun than running on a treadmill, but I will stick to lifting weights and running. It’s just not my thing.

Words with Friends
This is one of the more popular games that people are playing on their cell phones right now. It’s like the game Scrabble, but you play it in your free time against your friends. It’s quite addicting, and I have spent countless Sunday school lessons distracting myself with it. By playing the game you are actually educating yourself on new words. Cool huh?




Google
Did you know that by using your e-mail, Google Chat, and by using Google+ that your information is being shared? You are technically employed by Google to do work for them and they use you as their product. You have fun, but don’t notice that you are doing work for free! I’m sure it’s not that extreme where Google shares all of your confidential information with everyone (they aren’t like Apple, stealing all of your contact information and sending it out to everyone), but a lot of your info that you input into the Google products does get used and sometimes shared.

What other Fun Theories can you come up with that we have been using without even knowing that Fun Theory was being used in the design?

No comments:

Post a Comment